well-checks at the vet for your pet

« Back to Home

Doggy Dangers: Risks And Hazards In Your Home That Can Harm Your Pet

Posted on

Dogs are clever and they seem to find everything that you don't want them to! Many everyday items actually are quite dangerous and pose a significant risk to your dog.  Consider the following sources of concern and items that should be inaccessible to your dog:

Ticks. Ticks are everywhere, including in your yard or garden. Be cautious and make sure to check your pet frequently for the presence of a tick, which can carry Lyme disease. You should make sure your dog has the lyme vaccine as an additional safeguard. 

Small objects. Some everyday objects are potentially lethal when your dog gets ahold of them. These trinkets can cause wounds and sores to your dog's mouth, and present a choking hazard that can be deadly. Take a careful look under furniture, in the couch, and on the floor to keep these items away from your four-legged friends.

Some ordinary items that pose danger to your dog include:

  • Coins, buttons, paper clips, and twist-ties.
  • Yarn, thread, holiday garland, tinsel, rubber bands, dental floss, and panty-hose.
  • Razors, electrical cords, hair pins, cotton swabs, cutlery, batteries, and jewelry.

Poisonous plants. Be wary of the plants that are both inside and outside your home. Many types of vegetation are poisonous to a dog if ingested, so make sure that you keep them out of reach and away from your pet, to be on the safe side. If you notice your dog sniffing around or gnawing on plants, identify what the plant is and call your vet.

Some plants that are toxic to your dog are:

  • Aloe Vera.
  • Algae.
  • Amaryllis.
  • Azalea.
  • Tulips.
  • Poinsettia.
  • Philodendron.
  • Wisteria.
  • Yew.
  • Honeysuckle.

Food foes. Keep leftovers and food where it cannot be accessed by your pets, as many human-foods are quite poisonous to dogs; if you feel that your dog has ingested these food items, call the vet or poison control for aid. Furthermore, the packaging and containers that these tempting treats are kept in could pose a choking hazard for your pet. Play it safe and keep the following foods off-limits and out-of-reach for your dog:

  • Some produce, including grapes, avocados, onions, garlic, and raisins.
  • Beverages including alcohol, coffee, tea leaves, and drinks that contain xylitol.
  • Chocolate, Macadamia nuts, salt, and yeast dough.

It is estimated that when your pet ingests an object, such as ribbon or thread, vet bills can cost $2,000 to $10,000, with an average of $4K, taking into account that removal requires surgery and poses a risk of infection. Keep your pet safe by removing these items from reach, and remaining vigilant about what your pet has access to- especially when you are not with them. Talk to your vet with questions related to treatment and for more information about these risks.


Share